President Ed Vescovi has a full plate this year as the Branford Rotary Club of 66 members runs several major events and actively supports dozens of local and international causes.
The Branford Rotary club did a ‘reboot’ about a year ago and went back to basics under Past President Tony Terry’s leadership. They changed from being a lunch club that met on Mondays to becoming a breakfast club that meets on Wednesdays. At the same time Tony and his board dusted off the results of their ‘Club Visioning session’ and took a long hard look at it with respect to the core values that were important to their club. The Result? A Vibrant Rotary that is growing, having fun, raising a ton of money and doing a tremendous amount of good in the community and the world.
The Branford Rotary club has added 11 new members in the past year including a new one today, Kerry Haynes, who was sponsored by Emily Granelli.
The club also honored Phil Carloni & Pat Andriole with Paul Harris Fellow +1 pins for their generous support of the Rotary Foundation.
The Branford Rotary Club supports the following:
- Provision of school supplies for elementary school students in Arusha, Tanzania
- The Soundview Family YMCA
- The Branford River Project
- The literacy project which provides a personal dictionary to every third grade student in Branford
- The Community Events sign on the Branford green
- Annual bell ringing during the holidays to assist the Salvation Army
- Annual holiday dinner for Branford’s senior citizens
- Sponsorship of the Branford High School and Hamden Hall Interact Clubs
- Financial assistance to the SARAH organization
- Annual food drive to benefit the Community Dining Room and Branford Food Council
- Provision of new computers at the James Blackstone Public Library
- The renovation of the Stony Creek Fife & Drum Corps Hall
- Construction of the Volunteer Services Center on Harrison Avenue
- Installation of the entrance arbor at the Adult Day Care Center in Short Beach
- Construction of a playscape for children at Parker Park, Branford Point
- Financing a chlorination system for clean drinking water in San Pedro Sula, Honduras
- Installation of the Harry Johnson Memorial at Branford Point
- Donation of an annual scholarship for graduating seniors at Branford High School
- Contributions toward the well being of needy children in Bangladesh, Colombia, and Paraguay
- Funding for the “Read to Grow” program
- Raising money for its initiative to provide clean drinking water in impoverished areas in the world.
- Assistance toward the operation of Branford Community Television
- A “Secret Santa” activity of presenting holiday gifts to less fortunate children
- A clothing and blanket drive for those in need
- Financial aid for the “Hole in the Wall Gang” camp
- Provision of school supplies and camp scholarship for children at the Boys & Girls Club in New Haven
- Sponsorship of “Student of the Month” program at BHS
- Participation in efforts to eradicate polio from affected areas of the world
- Funding for the projected new facility of the Soundview Family YMCA
- AMBER Alert child identification program
- Branford River cleanup activity
- World War II Public Service Awards presentation with Conn. Secretary Of State
- Donations of goods to the needy at the Errera Community Care Center
- Luncheon for members of Blind Rehabilitation Center, VA Medical Center, West Haven
- …and more!
President Ed has made it his mission to Engage the majority of Rotarians in his club this year in all of the good things that the club does.
The Branford Rotary Club meets at the Parthenon Diner on 374 East Main Street in Branford on Wednesdays for breakfast. Admission price is a Rotary Pin and $7 for a good meal, a fun time and some good fellowship. Be sure to join them.
Pingback: Time to get into Turkey Trotting Shape – (2) Rotary Thanksgiving 5k’s | Rick Bassett
Pingback: Two Rotary Turkey Trots on Thanksgiving Morning | Rick Bassett