The North Branford Rotary Club generally bubbles up to the top of the district in most of the award metrics as they are a small club with giant ambitions that is incredibly good at documenting the amazing things that they do. The back story on the North Branford Rotary Club is that just about a dozen years ago the club had about 6 members and through determination and the hard work of successive leaders they hit a membership high of 30 members last year before attrition knocked a few off of that number. Still it’s pretty amazing if you consider the club went from 6 members to 26 in a dozen years.
The club is very active in all 5 areas of service and The Rotary Foundation. Their list of accomplishments is long, the following is a sampling of the highlights:
- EREY (Every Rotarian Every Year)
- Typically win the Governors Citation most years
- They grow and maintain their membership
- Actively involved with RLI, ShelterBox, WASRAG
- Hold easter egg hunts, clothing drives for kids, host a senior picnic
- Financially support Food Banks
- Were leaders in an international borehole project in Uganda
- Support the Haitian Health Foundation
- Support PolioPlus with substantial donations
- Support an Interact Club
- Provide Scholarships to outstanding students
- Participate in District Managed Grants in support of literacy
- Generously give to The Rotary Foundation
Additionally, The North Branford Club has nominated Mukund Nori to be District Governor in 2014-15.Mukund took time out from his busy DGN/DGE training back in June to marry Laima and just last week Laima joined the club as North Branford’s newest member, she was President of the Norwalk Club last year. The club is also the home to Past District Governor Paul Burns, who is stepping back into the leadership role this coming year as club President.
The North Branford Rotary Club is generously supporting the PDG Rick Benson’s Kenya project with a $500 contribution.
Like the North Haven Rotary Club, The North Branford Club knows that wine is the glue that holds everything important together. As such, their annual major fundraiser is a Wine Tasting event in November at Woodwinds in Branford (more to follow). The members do know how to let their hair down and have some fun as they did back in August with their 50-50 raffle at the North Branford Potato and Corn Festival.
The North Branford Rotary Club meets at one of my favorite restaurants; Nataz Restaurant at 2025 Foxon Road, North Branford, CT 06471 for dinner on Wednesday evenings. The meal is one of the best, great fellowship, BYOB Beer or Wine and if you are extremely lucky Hope Looney will be providing deserts the evening that you attend.