The Niantic Rotary Club enjoys one of the best lunches in D7980, no Rotary Chicken on this menu. They meet each Wednesday at Flander’s Fish Market & Restaurant in East Lyme CT.
President Dan kicked off the year in a very forward looking way by introducing his club to the Magical Mystery Tour, which is one of dinner themes at the Groton District Conference this coming May.
The club has about 40 dedicated and hardworking members that run fundraisers and work on projects that benefit their community. Club leadership is looking to expand into a global project this year by possibly partnering with other nearby Rotary clubs on a Solar Panel project.
The club holds three significant fund-raisers each year: The Niantic Rotary Gala; the Niantic Rotary Golf Tournament, and the Niantic Rotary food booth during Celebrate East Lyme.
Some of the beneficiaries of Niantic ROTARY fund-raising efforts include:
- The ROTARY Foundation (humanitarian and educational programs)
- The ROTARY Foundation (polio eradication )
- Haitian Health Foundation
- Amber Alert
- Niantic Main Street
- Third grade Dictionary Program
- Student of the month luncheons for selected East Lyme high-school students
- $5,000 in scholarships to East Lyme high-school graduating seniors
- Middle school essay contest for students in East Lyme, Salem and Lyme/Old Lyme
- Middle school citizenship prizes
- Serviceperson of the month luncheon each July
- ELHS Interact Club
- Care and Share
- Friends of Smith Harris
- Hospice Southeast Connecticut
- New London Food Center
- Women’s Center
- Sub Vets Association
- EL Light Parade
- Senior Picnic
- EL Holiday Stroll
- Make a Difference Day
In addition to the fundraisers and charities the club did the following significant community projects during the past several years:
- Placed a four-sided clock on Main Street in what is called the Rotary Crossing. The Rotary International Logo is on all four faces of the clock and the Four-Way Test is around the base. The clock is lighted and has chimes and music available.
- Donated a portion of its funds to the improvement of the playscape at McCook’s Park.
- Donated a portion of its funds to the erection of an electronic sign to be placed at Flanders Four Corners.
- Donated a portion of its funds to the erection of an electronic sign at the entrance to East Lyme High School.
The Niantic Rotary Club is a medium sized club with an EXTRA LARGE heart!!! They do amazing things, are never satisfied with the status quo and are always looking to improve. Case in point….President Dan working to revamp the way that the Interact club is operating.
A visitor to this club can’t go wrong. Great meal choices, great fellowship and a welcoming crowd (Having a YELLOW hard hat to hold the happy bucks was a nice touch today!!). Put this one on your ‘Rotary Bucket List’ and visit them at some point for lunch on Wednesdays.
If you still need convincing then remember that the Niantic Rotary Club is Susan Wheelers home club!!! I know that Susan will see this as she always reads to the end.