The Mystic Rotary Club, with about 60 members will be celebrating their 60th Anniversary this spring just before their annual Lobsterfest (a sentence stuffed with information).
The Mystic Rotary Club has added 6 new members since July 1st without losing any thus making them the leading Club in our District in terms of membership growth year-to-date.
Some of the things that the Club does:
- Supports Polio Eradication
- Award Scholarships to high-school students who best fulfill Rotary’s central theme of “Service Above Self,” and who reside in the communities from which Mystic Rotary Club members are drawn.
- Support the Tech Tot Library
- Support Arc of New London County
- Participates in the Liberty Bank Food Drive
- Support Westerly Area Rest Meals, Inc.
- Support the District’s Oklahoma Relief efforts
- Support Visiting the Nurse Association of Southeastern Connecticut
- Partner with the Stongingtons Club on the Dictionary Project
- Does ‘hands on’ projects such as Spring cleaning at the Mystic Historical Society
- Generously supports The Rotary Foundation
- Bell ringing for the Salvation Army
Many of the funds for these community and international causes are raised at the Club’s weekly meetings in the form of happy bucks, other funds are raised by selling lobster meals at Lobster Days at Mystic Seaport over Memorial Day weekend, and by selling Del’s Frozen Lemonade at the Mystic Outdoor Art Festival and Taste of Mystic.
Their Lobster Days Event, held at the Mystic Seaport each Memorial Day Weekend, is the Club’s signature fundraising event. Their website describes it like this “Crack your first lobster claw of the season at the butter-dribbling, shell-sucking, quintessentially-New-England Lobster Days during Memorial Day Weekend.
The Mystic Rotary Clubs meets on Mondays for lunch at the Mystic Hilton. Their weekly meetings are well organized, informative and fun, they start at 12:15 and end by 1:15 and cover a considerable amount of ground during that short period. It’s a great place to do a make-up!!